One of the characteristics of the Bachelor Programme in European Studies is the intensive language education. The courses are offered in either English or German and the students can study up to two further modern foreign languages.

Which languages can I choose?

Any language that the “Sprachenzentrum” – the Language Center of the OVGU – offers can be studied. This can either be a secondary English course, German as a foreign language, French, and so on. Have a look at their website to see the languages offered. The only restriction is that the language course must end with a certified language exam.

What language(s) should I choose?

You should choose a language that fits your personal and professional goals. It is recommended to choose the language of the country you wish to visit in the compulsory semester abroad, as many travel destinations have a language requirement policy. More information on the semester abroad can be found here.

In the Bachelor in European Studies, students have to acquire 20 CP with language exams (PM 12 and PM 13, 10 CP each). A language exam is worth 10 CP. Please note that only those languages can be given credit for that end with a certified language exam such as UNIcert® or DAF.

What is UNIcert®?

You can choose to start a new languageor continue to study a language on a higher level. Language courses can either be follow-ups or two separate languages. Each language course has a duration of 2 to 3 semesters.

How do I know which language course difficulty is right for me?

Please get in touch with the corresponding language department:

Note: They will appraise your language skill level. If you want to study a new language, however, an appraisal is not necessary.

How do I enroll in the language courses?

As the language courses are open to all students of the OVGU you should enroll as soon as possible to secure your place. With your OVGU email address you can visit the Moodle-Website of the faculty of languages and enroll in the courses manually.

Who can I contact with further questions?

Please contact the corresponding language department with further questions regarding the individual languages. For questions concerning specific ruling or more general questions, you can contact Dr. Samostyan.


Last Modification: 23.05.2024 - Contact Person: